Breanna Hill, Arts & Entertainment Editor
In 2019, the movie industry was booming and prospering beyond recent years. There were so many good releases — truly iconic releases — that caused me to head to the movie theater at least once or twice a month, which is well above average for me. I’m breaking down my top ten favorite movies released in 2019 below, and who knows, maybe I’ll binge them all in the weeks to come.
- ‘‘Avengers Endgame’’ was released in April and blew Marvel fans away. The movie ran over three whole hours, and contained tons of exemplary footage of the popular superheroes the world has come to know and love. I had no idea how much I was going to appreciate this movie considering I’m not the biggest fan of superheroes, but I have to admit that it exceeded my expectations and even caused me to have a few tears slip out at the end.
- “Joker” was released back in October, a very fitting time in my opinion, just because of how dark and disturbing it can be. I promise not all of these favorite films have superhero/super villain personalities in them, no worries there. I believe that the incredible casting, and the way that Joaquin Phoenix was able to bring his character to life was enough to make it high up on this list.
- “Toy Story 4” was released in late June and brought the inner kid in me back out. I absolutely adore this phenomenal movie franchise, and seeing the actors and actresses come back together to share one last adventure before saying goodbye was remarkable.
- “Ready or Not” was released in August and I have to say that it will forever be one of my all time favorite thrillers. I don’t take to the thriller genre very often. A movie has to have a pretty big scare factor for me to truly appreciate this, but even though there weren’t that many jump-scares, it did have me on the edge of my seat and my eyes glued to the screen. Great film.
- “Good Boys” was released back in August as well, and though I’m not usually one for comedies, I have to admit that I was eager to see this one and it definitely did not disappoint. It’s one of the best comedies that I’ve ever seen. It has some risky humor and some ‘what the heck’ moments, but definitely worth a watch if you can move past those factors.
- “Pet Semetary” was released in March, and the only word I can think to describe this movie is heart-stopping. I love the original version that was released in 1983, but seeing how much more of a scare element that they were able to bring to this reinvented version was pretty impressive.
- “Rocketman” was released at the beginning of summer in May, and let me just tell you, it lives up to the hype. I didn’t really know much about Elton John before watching it. I didn’t know his life story, just a few of his songs. This movie educates you on how remarkable Elton’s life has been, and it talks about all of the trials and tribulations he went through to get to where he is now. While telling his story, the movie manages to play some of his best hits while keeping you entertained.
- “IT: Chapter Two” was released in September, with my fear of clowns in mind I was careful when deciding whether or not to take a leap of faith and watch the highly anticipated sequel. I mustered up enough courage and watched it, and I’m thankful I did. I was not disappointed, maybe a little frightened by the end, but not disappointed. I definitely liked it a lot more than the first one, possibly because this was the portion with the adult versions of the Derry gang.
- “Isn’t It Romantic” was released, shockingly, in February. This movie stars the hilarious Rebel Wilson alongside Liam Hemsworth and Adam Devine. I love this movie because it’s pretty unique. It makes fun of the entire romantic-comedy social norm and yet, somehow, ends up creating the perfect romcom in the end. It’s hilarious and a 10/10.
- “Jumanji: The Next Level” was released recently in early December. Though I hadn’t made a plan to see this one, I cracked up time and time again watching this. The actors and actresses in this movie played their roles very well, and really made it a tremendous film.
There you have it, my top ten favorite movies that were released this past year. I highly recommend watching all of these. This list is pretty diverse so I’m sure anyone could find one, or more of these films highly entertaining and worth the watch.